Re: Use the Unicode replacement character for replacing unencodable char

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Use the Unicode replacement character for replacing unencodable characters into UTF-16
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 19:07:41 +0200

18 aug. 2020 kl. 18.19 skrev Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

> Can you describe under which circumstances this default-character will
> be used?

It's what encoding into UTF-16 uses for characters that don't have a Unicode
equivalent, such as raw bytes.

Now:

 (encode-coding-string "X\377Y" 'utf-16be)
 => "X Y" (in UTF-16-BE)

With the patch:

 (encode-coding-string "X\377Y" 'utf-16be)
 => "X\ufffdY" (in UTF-16-BE)

> The issue that bothers me is whether u+FFFD can appear in situations
> where it cannot be displayed by Emacs, because then the result will be
> more confusing than helping.

Do you mean that on balance, all things considered, you prefer space as
replacement character to U+FFFD?