Re: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:09:11 +0200

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:30:41PM +0000, Gregory Heytings via Emacs
development discussions. wrote:

> >He explains the drawbacks of this approach: Google doesn't *want*
> >that the app's users see the password. But the app is free
> >software, so *we* want that the users see everything in the app.
> >

> That's what Google's official terms of service state.  But in
> practice this is not enforced [...]

I think this is what's normally depicted in the "boiling frog"
metaphor [1]. If Google makes the transition too abruptly, they
may lose some users. If they do it slowly, the users will follow
along, albeit grumbling.

Cheers
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
 - t