Re: Compilation speed

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Compilation speed
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 19:11:55 -0700

On 8/10/20 7:33 AM, Arthur Miller wrote:

Since Emacs requires C99 compiler (as I understand) couldn't configure
script just check for avialability of C99 standard, OS and compiler and
assume the headers, flags and certain functions are avialable?

Unfortunately not. Lots of implementations conform mostly to C99 but have some exceptions. So we can't have a single C99 test; we need individual tests to cover the exceptions.

That's not to say we couldn't prune 'configure'; we could. It has several tests that are no longer relevant on today's porting targets. The problem is finding the developer time to prune them. There's a lot of good stuff there mixed in with the cruft.

if there is for example not strnlen
function avialable, would it be copied/added to system to by autotools

Generally speaking the autotools don't mess with your dev-chain installation, for understandable reasons.

Couldn't autotools devs, make those tests run in their
own shell as asynchronous processes, write output to a file and then
make a finall pass over all outputs and then decide to bail out/continue
or take an action.

Yes, but this would require quite a rewrite, as existing scripts typically don't say which tests depend on which other tests' results. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, only that it wouldn't be that easy.