PATH, exxec-path and early-init file [Windows]

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: PATH, exxec-path and early-init file [Windows]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 01:05:30 +0200 (CEST)

The following regards the build of EMACS MASTER on Windows with MSYS2/MINGW64,
whose tree is installed in C:\Emacs.

Trying to not add "C:/msys64/mingw64/bin" at level of Windows PATH, I added
this to the init.el file (from
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/27326/gui-emacs-sets-the-exec-path-only-from-windows-environment-variable-but-not-from):

(add-to-list 'exec-path "C:/msys64/mingw64/bin")
(setenv "PATH" (mapconcat #'identity exec-path path-separator))

This almost works in the sense that I lose a few graphics elements (the tool
bar icons are grayed, those of speed bar are completely lost etc.). So I moved
those line to an early-init.el file. Indeed the Emacs manual says:

"...early-init.el. This file is loaded before the package system and GUI is
initialized..."

"We do not recommend that you move into early-init.el customizations that can
be left in the normal init files. That is because the early init file is read
before the GUI is initialized..."

But the result is the same.

In short without a correct Windows PATH it does not find all the libraries it
needs.

It seems that what stated by the manual is a bit confusing: if early-init.el is
loaded before GUI initialization, why shouldn't it work?

In any case is there a way to avoid to modify Windows PATH?