Re: Okay to commit purely cosmetic (indendation) fixes?

From: Clive Tovero
Subject: Re: Okay to commit purely cosmetic (indendation) fixes?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:39:10 -0400

Whitespace changes make following code changes more difficult when
digging into the history.

Yes.  They make whole lines look like due to someone who only changed
the whitespace.

Thank you, I had heard the recommendation to not make whitespace-only commits, I didn't understand why. I guess I would have to know what tools you are using and what task you are doing to completely understand--many diff tools are capable of ignoring whitespace changes and highlighting whitespace. If you are looking at raw diff or something, I guess that would be a problem.

By the way, could you point us to the coding standard for Emacs that
would would give us guidance?

Nope.  Perhaps somebody else can?

I might, but I don't think I understand what coding standards are
being sought here, and in which programming language.

My use of "coding standard" was a poor choice of words, I'm sorry for that. I meant documentation of your software development process, including issues like this, a "Commiter's Guide" e.g. Then you could tell them please RTFM, and not lead to discussions like this.