Re: eldoc-docstring-format-sym-doc

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: eldoc-docstring-format-sym-doc
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 10:26:31 +0100

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 7:16 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 21:49:12 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > when was the function "eldoc-docstring-format-sym-doc" removed? I cant
> > find nothing in the logs.
>
> In this commit:
>
>   commit 1203626f472b0d99d2746f5999711137c0c1fd0c
>   Author: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
>   Date:   Sat Jun 6 14:04:48 2020 +0100
>
> > Elpy is using it.
>
> It seems like it was removed including allmost all calls except for in
> semantic/grammar.el:
>
>     * lisp/cedet/semantic/grammar.el (semantic--docstring-format-sym-doc):
>     New function.
>     (semantic-grammar-eldoc-get-macro-docstring): Adjust.
>
> Basically semantic--docstring-format-sym-doc is the old
> eldoc-docstring-format-sym-doc.  But I guess the plan is to remove that
> eventually, too.  Eldoc got a overhaul recently...

João, based on this report, do we need some backward-compatibility
shim to help 3rd party packages which use this removed function?

From memory, maybe  just bringing back the function as-is should
do the trick, since eldoc-docstring-format-sym-doc is just a
string formatting function, I seem to recall.

I hope this can wait for monday, as I don't have much time
for emacs devel this weekend.

Ideally though, elpy would rely on the new API, if possible.
Is Elpy using the new eldoc.el because it's being started
with Emacs 28 or because it's fetching the package from
GNU ELPA?

João