Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Opaque objects and Emacs documentation
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 16:42:45 +0300

On 23.07.2020 07:04, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > Its return value must be a "project
   > instance" which satisfies a certain protocol defined by several
   > cl-generic methods (think "interface" in Java, or "typeclass" in
   > Haskell, or "protocol" in Clojure, or multimethods elsewhere).

This protocol of operations and what jobs they are supposed to do
is what defines he project instance data structure.  So that is
a good way to document the data structure.

However, I wonder if there are some data that we can expect every
project instace to have..  For instance, does every project instace
have a name?  Is there an operation to ask for its name?

The root directory is one such point of data. So the project-root method must be defined (it's an operation, part of the protocol).

Currently it serves the role of "project name" as well. We might add a new, separate method for it later, but it will be optional.

What are the simple data items that every project instance should
have?

So far this is it. The rest of the methods have default implementations.