RE: Regarding outline headings in emacs-lisp libraries

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: RE: Regarding outline headings in emacs-lisp libraries
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 00:46:01 +0200

> FWIW -
>
> In my Elisp libraries I often put an Index in the
> Commentary, with links to the major sections.  For
> this I use the simple library `linkd.el'

I used that library too for a while.  It's neat but ultimately I decided
it wasn't *necessary*.

1. Emacs already provided a convention and implementation for outlines
   that I liked.
2. I didn't want to manually maintain an index in the commentary like
   you do.  (And I realize that I don't have to do that.)
3. Links are orthogonal to sections and don't have to be implemented
   in the same package.

But most importantly we would never be able to convince "everybody"
to use this library.  I expect `outline-minor-mode' to be less
controversial and thus the easier sell.

> Org Mode offers similar linking, of course, but
> Linkd is simple.

I ended up implementing `orglink.el' which allows you to "use Org Mode
links in other modes". ;P