Re: Byte-compilation warning in eldoc.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Byte-compilation warning in eldoc.el
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 08:20:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>   In toplevel form:
>   emacs-lisp/eldoc.el:540:2: Warning: unintern called with 1 argument, but
>       requires 2

Thanks, fixed.  But curiously it doesn't.  You can call it (and I always
do call it) with one argument, as one does in CL.

By the way, the only reason I had to do this (I rarely use this outside
interactive contexts) is to make eldoc.el work in Emacs 26.3.  I explain
this in the commit message, but I'm still uncertain of the cause of the
problem:

Author: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
Date:   Fri Jul 10 01:47:10 2020 +0100

    Fix Eldoc problem when loading on Emacs 26.3

    When defining the obsolete variable alias for old
    eldoc-documentation-function (which now points to the newer
    eldoc-documentation-strategy), one gets the error "don't know how to
    make a localized vareiable an alias".  I'm not sure, but I suspect
    this is because Eldoc is preloaded in Emacs 26.3 and the
    eldoc-documentation-function variable is already set locally by some
    Elisp buffer.

    Uninterning the symbol shortly before defining the alias seems to fix
    it.

Separately, I also noticed that calling `package-install` for Eldoc in
Emacs 26.3, will _not_ load eldoc, and neither will `require`.  One has
to `load` it specifically, even after calling `package-initialize`.

João