Re: [ELPA] New package: pspp-mode.el for PSPP/SPSS syntax highlighting

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: pspp-mode.el for PSPP/SPSS syntax highlighting
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 11:44:23 +0200

Hi,

i think the benefit of having the pspp-mode in GNU ELPA is that I can load it
in emacs via the standard elpa way, i.e. M-x package-list—packages and then
select pspp-mode - which is working right now because Stefan included
pspp-mode.el in the GNU
ELPA repository.

Until now I included the pspp-mode.el in the pspp debian package where it is
then installed as an „external“ elpa package. The benefit is that once I
install pspp, then the pspp-mode is autoloaded in emacs right away, i.e. when I
open a .sps file, then the mode is immediately working. I think it is nice that
I do not even need to know ELPA and the mode works in emacs right away when I
install the debian pspp package. So maybe that is a reason to keep pspp-mode.el
in the distribution. An alternative way would be  to find a way that installing
the pspp package will „activate“ the pspp-mode.el from GNU ELPA.

Friedrich