Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 28 pretest MS Windows snapshots
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 11:57:51 +0100

>> The deps file didn't upload. Not uncommon, the GNU upload process is
>> horrible. They should be there soon, hopefully.
>>
>> The installer version including all the dependencies is the smallest
>> package.
>
> I don't want to "install" Emacs, if that means doing something
> more than just putting it into a folder.  I want to have
> multiple Emacs versions, in different folders.  I just use the
> executables that are in their bin folders.

The installer does indeed just put stuff into a folder. It does add a
shortcut to the start menu IIRC, although you can switch that
off. Different versions will work, although I can't remember how it
would handle multiple copies of the same declared version
(i.e. snapshots).

It just uses better compression, so it's much smaller.

Phil