Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: When will emacs 27.1 be officially released?
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 17:33:03 +0300

> Cc: kevin.legouguec@gmail.com, liwei.ma@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:17:58 -0700
>
> On 6/30/20 12:06 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> A method that works reasonably well in other projects is to update manuals
> >> and
> >> NEWS as we go, not just before a release.
> > I started requesting that some time ago, with limited success.
>
> Is there some way we could step that up? E.g., perhaps start by reminding
> people
> who commit code changes but not changes to the corresponding documentation
> that
> they need to do the documenation ASAP. Eventually, we could defer or even
> revert
> changes until they're documented. The idea would be to change the culture of
> coding-without-documenting.

I think we are going there, but slowly.  I'm not convinced there is a
faster way that won't lose us some contributors.  Some people just
dislike writing documentation, and there's nothing we can do about it.
As someone wise once told me, each person is a package deal: you get
him or her with all their talents and their idiosyncrasies.