dvipng

Using bookmark causes floating point exception

From: Francis Wright
Subject: Using bookmark causes floating point exception
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 15:37:52 +0000

When I use the latest TeX Live (from ctan.org) and compile the LaTeX file, dvipng-bug.tex, containing the following 5 lines:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{bookmark}

\begin{document}

Some random content.

\end{document}

using “latex dvipng-bug.tex” and then run “dvipng dvipng-bug.dvi”, I get the output:

This is dvipng 1.17 Copyright 2002-2015, 2019 Jan-Ake Larsson

Floating point exception (core dumped)

and no PNG file. I believe that this is caused by a bad interaction between the latest version of the bookmark driver file bkm-dvips.def, namely version 2020-11-06 v1.29, and dvipng. I have tried using dvipng 1.16 and 1.15, and the result is the same. But if I use the previous version of bkm-dvips.def, namely version 2019/12/03 v1.28, dvipng runs correctly. I find similar behaviour on Cygwin and Ubuntu.

I will also report this as a bookmark bug, but even if bookmark is the cause I don’t think dvipng should crash.

Best wishes, Francis