dvipng

[Dvipng] Re: very tiny dvipng bug

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: [Dvipng] Re: very tiny dvipng bug
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:58:16 +0200

Kyle Rawlins wrote:
I came across a very small problem that might be construed as a bug in dvipng (but maybe not). The error messages (in misc.c) use some non-ASCII character for the A with a circle over it (in your name). This causes a problem for the error handling in the "latex2" plugin for the moinmoin wiki, which uses dvipng to generate latex images. If dvipng fails, instead of printing the dvipng error message (as part of the wiki page), the wiki fails to convert the error message to utf-8 because of the circle-A character, and crashes. More generally, this might cause a problem for any program that calls dvipng and expects output to be ASCII. A workaround in dvipng was very easy (I just changed the character in the misc.c file and recompiled), though I'm not sure if there would be an easy way to get that character in a portable fashion.

Hm, I have changed this in the man page for precisely that reason. I've checked in a cange in CVS, which will be included in the pending 1.6 release. At some point I'll have to learn to do this properly.

/JÅ