dmidecode-devel

Re: Dmidecode 3.5 has been released

From: Randy MacLeod
Subject: Re: Dmidecode 3.5 has been released
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:47:14 -0400

Bonjour Jean,

On 2023-07-19 09:15, Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Randy,

A subject line more related to the matter being discussed would have
been appreciated.

On Tue, 2023-07-18 at 20:40 -0400, Randy MacLeod wrote:
Does dmidecode follow semantic versioning (1) and

Obviously not. We use 2-number versions, and this article assumes 3-
number versions.

Well, the third digit could be silent! ;-)

  what does that mean for binaries that do not have an API?

That's an odd question to ask here. Ask the person who wrote the
article?

Sure, it' was only a question that I expected you to answer if you were aware of,
and following, the semantic versioning scheme.

  Was this release called 3.5 rather than 3.4.1 because an old feature
  was dropped:
    3d68350 dmidecode: Drop the CPUID exception list

No. It was called 3.5 because we use 2-number versions and the previous
version was 3.4. No need to look for a hidden reason.

That's what I expected but some people seem to think that the entire world has
switched over to semantic versioning.

I don't have a pressing need for it but most of the commits in dmidecode
  are to support new hardware and in an ideal world, those changes would
  be back-ported to stable release branches.

The world isn't ideal so any sentence starting like that is irrelevant
by nature.

Awww, that's one of my favourite ways of talking about how things should or could be!

There are no "stable release branches" for dmidecode, nor do I feel any
need for that. It's a small project with a slow development pace.

Understood and personally, I think that makes sense as well.

I know that's extra work for the maintainer
  but it would be interesting to know of that has been requested before and
what the conclusion was.

What has been requested by whom, in what context? What kind of
"conclusions" are you taking about? Every change is documented by its
commit message.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was asking you recalled other people asking for a stable branch of dmidecode with backport to fix CVEs and support new hardware without dropping or adding features.

  Right now if I really need to support new hardware, with an old release, I'd
just backport the relevant
  commits manually as other distros may already be doing.

If you need to support new hardware then you'd rather update to the
latest version of dmidecode. The code is simple and stable, risk of
regressions is super thin, and known regressions are documented, so you
can just backport a couple commits on top and you're done.

The whole point of dmidecode updates is to support newer versions of
the SMBIOS specification or new OEM types, so that's the bulk of the
changes. If you want to backport all that, you obviously can, but
that's more work with little to no benefit.

I agree but distro maintainers usually want to simplify life an still with a given release number.

The context is a discussion (2) about what's a sensible approach to fixing CVEs
for dmidecode on a stable release in Yocto, and other distros I suppose.

CVE fixes (or bug fixes in general) are a completely different topic.
For fixes, you indeed want to backport the relevant commits. That
should be fairly trivial in most cases.

For your reference, commits which are known to fix serious bugs or
regressions are listed by version at:

   https://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/

in the Download section. If you think that some commits which should be
listed there are missing, let me know and we can discuss it.

All new versions of dmidecode also come with a comprehensive NEWS
section. This should let you find out easily if there's anything you
want to backport to your specific product.

Thanks for your timely and detailed response. I'll go back to the Yocto distro maintainers with this information and see how they want to handle CVEs fixes and new HW support now that
you have explained how things work for this package.

Merci beaucoup!

--
# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux