dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] [Patch v3] firmware: dmi-sysfs: add SMBIOS entry point a

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] [Patch v3] firmware: dmi-sysfs: add SMBIOS entry point area raw attribute
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:41:34 +0100

Replying to myself...

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:50:42 +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Please also note that the recently released version 3.0.0 of the SMBIOS
> specification introduces a new entry point format, and the firmware is
> allowed to implement both the old and the new format. It may be
> desirable to expose both to user-space under different names.

Having read the kernel code meanwhile, I see we will call either
dmi_smbios3_present or dmi_present successfully, not both, so
presenting both entry points to user-space would be non-trivial. So I'm
fine with presenting only one entry point in sysfs for the time being.
We can always revisit later if it turns out that dmidecode really needs
both in some cases.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support