dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] Decoding of DMI dumps

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] Decoding of DMI dumps
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:11:23 +0100

Hi Vladimir,

Please keep the list Cc'd.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:56:24 +0100, phcoder wrote:
> Hello, thank you for attention and fast reply. dmidecode 2.10 is able to
> parse SMBIOS dumps containing _SM_ or _DMI_ anchor but not pure tables
> dump. The later format is the one that is available through OSX ioreg
> -lw0 and perhaps some other tools.

It is not possible to properly decode a DMI table without knowing which
version of SMBIOS it implements, as decoding of some fields depend on
the version. This is the reason why the binary dumps generated and read
by dmidecode have an entry point at the beginning of the file.

I am not sure why you want to use ioreg in the first place. Doesn't
dmidecode work on OSX?

--
Jean Delvare