dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] dmidecode on Windows - different results for different

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] dmidecode on Windows - different results for different users?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:42:28 +0200

Hi Tomasz,

On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:16:43 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
>
> > Basically, dmidecode is confusing "System Information" with "Base Board
> > Information" when started as SYSTEM.

I am not familiar with special Windows users. What is the role of the
"system" user? I tried to create such a user but I see no appropriate
role for him.

On my system, only the administrator can read /dev/mem, so I cannot
compare the output of dmidecode with another user. I compared between
administrator on Windows and root on Linux and the output of dmidecode
is the same.

> I didn't mention one important information: I used Windows 2000 SP4.
>
> I made a quick test on Windows XP SP2, and it shows proper behaviour
> (output is the same and does not depent on user).

Was it on the same machine? I suspect that different BIOS could lead to
different results.

> So it looks like dmidecode doesn't like Windows 2000.

dmidecode simply reads the raw data from /dev/mem, which itself is implemented
by cygwin in terms of Windows system calls as I understand it. Apparently, on
your system, Windows is exposing different data depending on who is asking.
There's nothing I can do about it in dmidecode. If there's any way to address
the problem, that would be something for the cygwin folks to investigate.

--
Jean Delvare