dmidecode-devel

[dmidecode] repository of dmidecode output ?

From: Jim Cromie
Subject: [dmidecode] repository of dmidecode output ?
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:40:11 -0600

Hi Jean ;-)

Is there a repository of dmidecode outputs ?
Shouldnt there be ?

fwiw, I checked the ML archives for 'Handle',
which should have found anything like this..

Handle 0x000F
       DMI type 32, 20 bytes.
       System Boot Information

Could we have an ML for collecting dmidecode-outputs from around the world ?

... if all linux users were to run (something like) this once on each machine ...

(
   cat /proc/cpuinfo
   cat /proc/meminfo
   dmidecode
)  | mail -s 'dmidecode-output'   address@hidden

We would have the raw data to answer various questions:

- how many BIOS vendors are in the repository / world ?
- how many versions from each, how often do they update ?
- is a particular 'Handle' common/rare/unique ?
- does this 'Handle' occur on a wide range of cpus ?

< blue-sky speculation elided >    ;-)

tia
-jimc