dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] dmidecode not return type 2 (baseboard)

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] dmidecode not return type 2 (baseboard)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 11:17:59 +0200

Hi Talmai,

[Talmai Oliveira]
> While using dmidecode on some desktop machines no type 2 (baseboard)
> info is returned. But, when we boot win XP up and use DMICFG we can
> clearly see that the information is there...
>
> offset 05H (Product) is *not* null..
> but the other attributes of the structure is NULL..
>
> I can only guess that dmidecode ignores this type if some other
> attribute is null, such as MANUFACTURER..

No, it doesn't. Dmidecode will display the "Manufacturer", "Product
Name", "Version" and "Serial Number" fields of this structure, whether
they are defined or not. The only thing that would make dmidecode not
display these fields is if the overall structure length is less than
the minimum allowed in the SMBIOS specification (8). I suspect that
this is what is happening in your case.

> has anyone else noticed this? can anyone give me some kind of advice on
> where I can modify the source to try to get this information regardless
> of whether or not some of the attributes are NULL?

No, I've never seen this. All systems in my test suite have size 8 for
this structure.

Please provide the output of:
dmidecode -t 2
dmidecode -u -t 2