Notes on GNUstep meeting

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Notes on GNUstep meeting
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 10:41:35 +0200

Hi all!

I note down sone impressions on this meeting, it was almost 2hrs for me. Even
without Fred and Gregory, we had some good discussion.
Josh partiticpated only through texting, so while he out some interesting
points, it was a bit one-way discussion

* Agreed to delay release to about the end of May, to allow for code freeze and
a thourough testing of all changes that were commited lately. I Wrote a
separate mail about that
* Updates from Hugo about libobcj2 and agreed to do again work on NetBSD support
* Marco shared a lot of his enthusiasm about GNUstep, shared his screen and
showed off some of his work by screen sharing. A passionate “NeXT style & theme
user” with gcc. Very encouraging, thanks! I am so used to harsh critique about
our look, missing features, instead he showed some extended usage also of apps
and tools! He has local versions of his apps.  He discussed a lot of issues.
        - Possible GWorkspace or NSWorkspace issues when copying folder. I
pointed to test the same files on another filesystem or try with the same
filesystem using StepSync, to try to pinpoint the issue. Then we should
definitely look at it. I will try NFS too
        - GWorkspace issues with caused crashes of which he has local patches,
I’d like to review them one by one, trying tro reproduce and fix upstream
        - same goes for GNUmail, I want to see the crash fixes, since GNUMail
is quite stable for me
        - TGA support needed for him. Should go through ImageMagick, it is
quite broken for me. I’d like to test and see what can be done, fix IM 6 & 7 if
possible. I would not consider it a release blocker, but let’s see what can go
in before and afterwards.
        - actual help files written for HelpViewer - if some are of general
usage, they should be distributed!
        - new views about Zipper integration with GWorkspace… work that needs
study.

Riccardo

—
Written with GNUMail on MacOS