Re: General Design Guidelines for GNUstep and apps

From: Ondrej Florian
Subject: Re: General Design Guidelines for GNUstep and apps
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 00:37:47 +0200

Hi Thomas,

I am afraid creating modern, OSX-like desktop would require very different
approach than GSDE is taking.
Using Wayland, process separation and something like D-bus for IPC for example.

What makes GSDE cool is its simplicity. All of its consistency and power comes
from the GNUstep foundation (e.g. services, NSNotifications, global key
shortcuts, steptalk, etc.).

However, this is only possible because all apps are GNUstep apps (or wrappers).
I did experiment with bridging GTK with GNUstep to make "porting" apps to GSDE
easier,
but considering one has to remap all keys, menus, dialog boxes to make it all
work and look the same as GSDE,
it is really not worth the effort.

"Normal" world is much, much more complex.
There is a reason why GNOME, KDE or even XFSE are such beasts.
There are many edge cases that these desktop environments must take into
cosideration.
Linux Desktop is not easy problem to solve.

Thanks,
Ondrej