Re: General Design Guidelines for GNUstep and apps

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: General Design Guidelines for GNUstep and apps
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:17:27 +0200

Hi Thomas,

Thomas wrote:
Hello,

as I play around with GSDE I noticed that there are some differences between
the usage of the apps.

Does a Design Guideline for GNUstep exists (as Apple has(d))?

Not really, but we rely essentially on OpenStep behaviour, since that is the default "look and feel". Although the look is different, it is also quite similar to MacOS, especially the first 10.0-10.6 versions. The Menu bar is different in look but similar in concept!

So at macos every app from the Finder to the smallest app has the (standard)
menue points:  hide, hide others, show all.
Here with GNUstep only GWorkspace has this menue entries and by the way on my
HP prodesk 400 G3 mini with GSDE on Debian hide others doesn´t work, it hides
GWorkspace itself, the opposite behavior I awaited.

I think GSDE is doing something tricky there?
The menus behave as expected on Mac: you hide the current app or all others. Easy. Different to mac, you can even get a clue on whether an App is hidden, if you use the classic WindowMaker icons: a small dot.

The caveat is that with standard GNUstep it knows about GNUstep application and not other X11 ones.

Other (maybe stupid) Question from a newbe: I copied for instance from github
the zip files from Textedit to my computer to find out wether I can open and
learn to program the source with Projectcenter and Gorm but I can´t find a
projectfile like in Xcode.
Do I have to use git how to begin programming existing projects?  Hints
welcome. :-)

I suppose TextEdit is just ported using makefiles of GNUstep-make, it was not recreated using ProjectCenter. Same goes with Ink. It has a plain GNUmakefile for gnustep-make

Just initialize a project fresh with ProjectCenter is the easiest way. In any case PC just generates gnustep makefiles for you and runs make. No fancy maketools are behind the curtains.

https://home.gnustep.org/experience/PierresDevTutorial/index.html

Also, you could check apps in GAP, most of them have a ProjectCenter project file

https://gap.nongnu.org/
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gap/trunk/

Graphos, FTP, LaternaMagicam StepSync could be some apps which all are managed with PC.

Riccardo