Re: Questions about tools-scripts

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Questions about tools-scripts
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 12:23:30 -0400

Joseph,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 11:59 AM Joseph Maloney <jpm820@proton.me> wrote:
Hello,
First I just want to say thanks to the GNUstep developers for a really cool project that I have been enjoying using. I wanted to inquire about tools-scripts. I’ve been working on my own build scripts for a while to build on Debian amd64/arm64, Arch Linux amd64, Rocky Linux amd64, and FreeBSD amd64/aarch64. I believe that integrating tools-scripts could work for me to reduce the amount of code I am generating on my own to do most of the same things tools-scripts already does. However I’ve just hit a few issues with some of the scripts not working so I wanted to see if pull requests were welcome, or if tickets would be preferred in the git repo, or another bug tracker.

One important thing to remember is to invoke the scripts from the directory above, like so:

./tools-scripts/whichever-script-youre-calling

otherwise they won't work properly.   Both PRs and Tickets/Issues are welcome.  For larger changes, you need to submit a copyright request at assign@gnu.org and copy me.  Once you've done that I can add you to the repository.  The FSF takes some time to get the PDF to you and to process it and my policy is to allow people to contribute ASAP once they have requested the assignment with the assumption that they will submit it.  I have worked on the scripts for a while so that they can provide commonly needed things when building GNUstep.

I made a pull request for tool-scripts to fix an issue with the clone-all-repos-https script. If this were acceptable I wanted to generate another PR to fix the clone-essential-repos-https script. After this I was curious if the project would be interested in support for Arch Linux in the install-dependencies-linux script? I hope this is the right place to ask these initial questions. Thank you.

I will look at these PRs and YES support for Arch Linux would absolutely be welcomed and appreciated.  I have heard there are people who want Arch support, so adding it would be awesome.

Joe Maloney

Yours, GC
--
Gregory Casamento
GNUstep Lead Developer / Black Lotus, Principal Consultant