Re: WebSite: navigation to bug reporting

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: WebSite: navigation to bug reporting
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:24:51 +0100

Hi Riccardo and others,

Some initial remarks first: I appreciate the effort you’re making to get us a better website. But I think before we lose ourselves in details of the menu structure, we should think about which audience we want to carter.

Is it developers? Is it users? Is it both? Is it something to be discussed?

And I think there are examples again from which to learn. Take for instance our „competitors“ GTK/GNOME or QT/KDE. Both consist out of a Framework/API and a desktop environment.

Let’s look at GTK/GNOME first (also because QT is a commercial venue which in turn has some other interests too)

Clearly, their framework GTK carters to developers: have a look at https://www.gtk.org/ : their site is concise and clearly structured, they have a claim „Create apps that users just love“. Their website consists out of a „head“-section in black (claim, one sentence introduction, „Learn GTK“-Button and Downloads with versions). Then more detail sections follow: „Work with the language of your choice“, „Apps built with GTK“, „A feature-rich development tool“ and so on, you get the idea.

Then there is their user website: https://www.gnome.org/ which is also clear and concise but for a completely different audience. Compare both and you’ll see.

The same can be said about https://kde.org/ (which forwarded me to a localized version: https://kde.org/de/ (nice, but not necessary))