Re: WebSite: navigation to bug reporting

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: WebSite: navigation to bug reporting
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:11:23 +0100

Hi,

Daniel Boyd wrote:
My vote is the "prominent place" option even though I admit it does detract somewhat from a clean aesthetic. But I think it's worth it.

You and Fred - opposite opinions.
In my original design years aog, I put the bug prominent, then just before our site crash, I started moving it into the menu, but never finished the work.
Now I want to clean things up.

By having it in a prominent location, the most direct effect is that it will be easier to find. I don't think that matters as much for developers, most of whom will explore the site thoroughly, so I'm thinking more of the impact on end users. End users may or may not be accustomed to reporting bugs and I think there is some value in giving them a subtle message that the project encourages bug reports. I think by having a link to the bug report page in their field of vision every time they are on a gnustep.org <http://gnustep.org> page, you may end up with a higher percentage of users submitting bug reports.

Your reasoning has some truth. But consider some additional elements.
The concept of "bug report" is something for more experienced users: of course developers, but also "advanced" users and those should be able to look for it in a menu... maybe they already know how to use github. A layman, instead, just needs "help", he has an issue, which might not even be a bug. So a check in the docs or in the wiki for self-help, a post on the Mailing Lists may be a prior step to take. More "support" or "help" than directly a bug.

Riccardo