Re: Installing GNUstep from FreeBSD ports, again

From: Sergei Golovin
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep from FreeBSD ports, again
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 15:05:57 +0400

Edwin Ancaer <eancaer@gmail.com> writes:

> Sergei,
>
> I have been booking at the defaults, but I find them in different places.
> There is  set of decent looking defaults file Defaults.plist at
> /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Applications/Gorm.app/Resources. They are in
> the attached file.

It is shipped with Gorm as defaults for the first time start. They are
not supposed to be touched by a user.

> But then there is a set of Defaults at ~/GNUstep/Defaults/Gorm.plist

that is what the command tool 'defaults' maintains. The user's
preferences.

> PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
>     <key>NSWindow Frame Inspector</key>
>     <string>2 -2 1920 1080 0 0  1920 1080 </string>
>     <key>NSWindow Frame Palettes</key>
>     <string>2 -2 1920 1080 0 0  1920 1080 </string>
>     <key>ShowInspectors</key>
>     <true/>
>     <key>ShowPalettes</key>
>     <true/>
> </dict>
> </plist>
> *;

I guess somehow the file in the directory
/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Applications/Gorm.app was
replaced. You can restore it by reinstalling Gorm.

By the way it is strange that Gorm was installed in the
SYSTEM_DOMAIN. My installation goes into
<...>/Local/Applications/Gorm.app (that is LOCAL_DOMAIN).
      ^^^^^------------------------------------+

I have <...>/System/Applications empty.

> I tried with defaults delete Gorm, I even tried to delete the
> Gorm.plist file,
> thinking it would be replaced with the reasonable defaults, but to no
> avail, it is recreated every
> time I close Gorm, but I have no idea where this happens.

The user specific preferences are stored when Gorm exits. So you should
issue

# defaults delete Gorm

when no instance of Gorm is running.

> By the way, I saw that these mails are not on the Discuss-GNUstep
> list: would you prefer to add them to the list again?

Oh, that has been done accidentally.

--
Sergei Golovin