Thoughts about our website

From: lars . sonchocky-helldorf
Subject: Thoughts about our website
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 02:02:46 +0100

Hi dear GNUsteppers,

I lately came across a website which impressed me by its usefulness and
simplicity:

https://www.qemu.org

It impressed me with its clearness and to the point information: you can see
everything important at a glance:

On the top there are the most important links (Download, Support, Contribute,
Docs, Wiki, Blog), followed by a big logo and title as well as a one sentence
description of the project.

Then follows a section of three Screenshots, which each show a certain aspect
of QEMU in detail.

And finally there is a section "Latest releases“ at the bottom, showing the
latest available releases.

This is all visible at first glance right on the homepage, which is important
today in the times of short attention spans. Of course there are links to more
detailed information on subpages.

I propose now that we learn from the concepts and ideas of QEMU’s website.

We could, for instance reduce the copy text on the homepage to just:

GNUstep is a [free software](-> Link to fsf.org or gnu.org) implementation of
[Apple’s Cocoa Frameworks](-> Link to Cocoa Documentation at Apple) (formerly
[NeXT's OpenStep](-> Link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStep )) for
[Application Development](-> Link to Developer subpage at gnustep.org).

GNUstep can be used to create a desktop environment. (Here we could place a
link to a reference implementation)

GNUstep is not Window Maker and [Window Maker is not GNUstep](-> Link to
https://www.windowmaker.org/docs/wings.html ).

Then I would propose to follow the Concept of the QEMU homepage closely:

show three recent screenshots, ideally with theming running on various OSes
including Windows. Short explanation of what it shows below.

All this followed by I recent releases section and at the very bottom the legal
stuff like imprint, link to bug reporter and such stuff.

This is just my proposal, I am open for discussion, so let’s discuss this (also
since we are on discuss-gnustep@gnu.org here). The more involvement the better,
I am not saying my ideas are perfect or such, I post those to get the ball
rolling towards a better GNUstep Homepage!

Kind regards,

        Lars