Re: Consider GtkCore as UI

From: Albert Palacios
Subject: Re: Consider GtkCore as UI
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 08:44:19 +0100

Hi,

With the GitHub code, where the GSTheme.m file is 8 years old, I can't see how
to create a theme to my liking. Now I see that there have been modifications
three months ago to some files, I will have to look at the differences to see
in detail what it is about.

The 'Argentum' theme from the 'AgoraDesktop' repository on Github seems like an
empty skeleton, but you have already said that the previous images were made
with a vector editing program, and not real functioning code. Nevertheless, I
have not been able to get this project to work, because although there is an
installer, there is no explanation anywhere on how to start the desktop and my
knowledge of FreeBSD is NIL.

Also, in the documentation, I can't see anywhere how to properly make a custom
vector theme from scratch, and I haven't found any example either. I really
mean it when I say that if I achieve my goal of making a GNUStep program that
doesn't make my eyes bleed, I will make more modern documentation for my
students. But right now, I can't use your library in the classroom because they
will think I am crazy. I know the 90s were phenomenal, but my students were
born after 2000, I can't introduce Objective C in the classroom with an
aesthetic that is prehistoric to them.

Thank you very much for your patience, but when you say that it is very easy to
criticize and more difficult to contribute, take note yourselves too. Because
it's very easy to say that the approach of overriding the code is completely
wrong, and not to provide any clear and real example of a vector theme that can
be used as a base, and where it is clearly seen how to modify the menus or
complex components.

I have been following this list for a long time, and what is evident is that
there would be more interest in GNUStep if, let's see how I put it, ..., it was
more clearly explained how to customize it to everyone's taste. Including those
of us who have appreciated the updates to macOS since Cheetah, and have never
owned a NeXTcube.

Albert