Re: Consider GtkCore as UI

From: Kyle Cardoza
Subject: Re: Consider GtkCore as UI
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:26:50 -0500

“Mr. Cardoza” makes me look for the warrant in your hand, but yes, I have been working on refactoring default drawing behaviour into the base GSTheme class, to enable better control over theme elements in subclasses. There’s definitely improvements to be made in the theme that would be presented to new users in a hypothetical reference distro (which is not necessarily the same as the base GSTheme class!), but I can’t say I think the base theme is ugly. Just old fashioned. That isn’t inherently a bad thing, but I see how some might get the wrong impression about what GNUstep is and can do based on the NeXTSTEP look and feel.

The theme I am designing is based entirely on vector drawing, to take full advantage of modern high dpi displays, and show off what a fully native GNUstep environment is actually capable of being. That’s a lot of work, but it’s work that is being done.

Additionally, Mr. Cardoza, who wrote earlier in this list.  Thought as you do about the theming stuff and I helped him with understanding what could be done by pointing him to the code.  He contributed code to handle the menu padding (PRECISELY THE ISSUE YOU POINTED OUT) to GSTheme about two months ago.