Re: Consider GtkCore as UI

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Consider GtkCore as UI
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:00:06 +0100

Hi,

bruce wrote:
> I've tried using libobjc2 with the other runtimes from the linux repo. I
> couldn't get it to work, but it sounds like other people have under
> certain circumstances.

Building libobjc2 can be from easy, "just works" to a nightmare,
depending on a platform.

Best, of course, is if it comes ready for your OS.

> Hm, I'll give that a try,.
> But to build a product, I want to know that my users can install it
> without all the monkey business. Otherwise it becomes a support nightmare.

GCC almost always "just works" if the operating system provides it. If
you don't need Obj-C2 features for your app, it is usually a very easy
path and that's why I love it. Except FreeBSD, where you mention
working. THhere the situation is complicated, because GCC provided has
its obj-c runtime removed, supposing you to use libobjc2, which won't
work. SO I abandoned that path, but compiled libobjc2 from sources.

Riccardo