Re: Consider GtkCore as UI

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Consider GtkCore as UI
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 07:58:00 -0500

Bruce,

On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 8:23 PM bruce <darkoverlordofdata@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, I’ve tried that. It doesn’t look good on any of the themes I’ve found. I’d try making my own theme if I could find documentation…

There are a number of examples in the github repository as well as documentation in gnustep-gui's Documentation directory.   We are certainly not hiding how to do this from you.

But it does not address the bigger issue of artifacts. And it creates the issue of menu confusion. I always look to the top corner of my screen - no searching for menus. Then I would have to look for them on only certain gnustep apps. Not a great interface.

With respect to the "artifacts" I haven't seen the scrollview issue you mention on either Windows or Linux platforms.  I admit I haven't tried HelloSystem, so I can't speak to which backend they are using (whether it's X, Art, Cario, Wayland, etc).   Also, I have never tried xfce... so some of what you might be running into might not be directly something associated with GNUstep itself.  I would recommend building GNUstep yourself on a Linux system and try that, or even on a *BSD system.

I’m mainly interested in creating apps for Linux/FreeBSD. I’m not certain my screen lock program would even work on either Mac or Windows. The same with other desktop oriented apps, such as a shortcut editor. I haven’t used a Mac or Windows in 12 years since I left Microsoft.

I agree that abandoning Cocoa seems wrong.

It is wrong, period, so you can rest fully assured that this will never ever under any circumstance ever happen.  Subject on this closed.

But these bugs have been there for a decade without getting fixed, and what I’m starting to think is that this is just a linux issue.

Just a linux issue, it works PERFECTLY on Linux for me and for, as I mentioned, many corporate customers.  Yet another company that uses GNUstep is Algoriddim (a german company that sells a music app).

Until recently I had expected to hear that gnustep was dead.

Yet another misconception that clearly illustrates an unwillingness (on your part) to even follow a link to GitHub to take a look at the recent activity.  I have a job which lets me work on GNUstep every day.  I am making improvements to GNUstep code almost daily... as are others.

The web site is half dead links, it was offline for a while,

Yes, because the person hosting it passed away. :( We are still in the process of getting some things back online, but with a volunteer team this takes time.  Many of the dead links should be fixed by now.  The wiki is still not up because it was an old version and is in the process of being converted.

and freshports shows that there is no longer a maintainer for FreeBSD.

Isn't BSD dead?! (kidding)  I can't speak to who maintains packages for any give *BSD and who doesn't.   The project is not in direct control of any of the people who package it for any given distribution or OS.

The version on the Linux repos is considered dead because it’s the old 1.9, so you have to build it manually to get the current version.

Where is it considered dead?  Where do you see that?  There have been changes in recent days and there is plenty of activity on the GitHub repo.  Where are you looking?   Are you looking AT ALL or just assuming?!

Maybe it only makes sense for Linux devs to use gtk. Or maybe they just continue not using gnustep and I’m just the odd one out.

The issue as I see it is this... you are using a version of GNUstep on a distro that we have no direct contact with.  You are using it with a backend that may or may not be fully supported.   You have stylistic issues with the project which you perceive as bugs.  You have had scant contact with the team and have NOT engaged in interacting with us in any useful way other than complaining on the mailing list.  I can tell you from experience that simply coming into the forum and yelling loudly may not get what you want.   If you submit bugs on GitHub it will get you MUCH more attention.

Yes, we have issues in how we present our documentation.
Yes, we have bugs that some people find annoying, but it helps immensely if people report them instead of advocating abandoning all present work to use something that is a non-starter.

What we need is this...
* Proper engagement from people who wish GNUstep to be better... this consists of:
  1) Submitting bugs when you find a problem.
  2) Submitting CODE if you are so inclined to do so.  We happily will accept any reasonable changes and have an excellent track record of being open to change
  3) Engaging the community in a friendly and non-confrontational manner.

If you do the above, you will see much more success in getting things changed or improved.

I hope this helps,

Yours, GC