Re: Debian12 repository.

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Debian12 repository.
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 14:04:56 +0000

> On 24 Nov 2023, at 13:14, Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org> wrote:
>
> see http://repo.gnustep.ch/
>
> I am currently fighting with /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/gnustep-config while
> compiling my own libraries
>
> After changing the layout to gnustep
>
> the tool is not found in the path. a symlink to /usr/bin/gnustep-config fixes
> this (or expanding the path)
> However  gnustep-config  --objc-flags  does not include  a
> -I/usr/include/GNUStep  so <Foundation/Foundation.h> is not found
>
> It's not strictly necessary for pure objc code but for gnustep-base code it
> is. There is however no --base-flags but only --base-libs.
>
> I could simply add -I /usr/include/GNUStep   to my Makefiles. But then why
> have a config tool when it only does half of the work.
>
> Suggestions?

> the tool is not found in the path

That means your path is wrong ... but that's easy to fix.

> But then why have a config tool when it only does half of the work.

The problem is not that the tool is doing 'half the work',  it's that your
headers etc are in the wrong place because you misunderstood what this means:

> After changing the layout to gnustep

If your layout is 'gnustep' the resources are supposed to be found in the
standard gnustep layout locations found from the root path you have set.
By default the root path is /usr/GNUstep (though you can configure the root of
the layout to be somewhere other than /usr/GNUstep)

Most headers installed in the 'gnustep' layout will be in
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers and make will find them automatically.

It sounds like you have configured for the 'gnustep' layout, but are expecting
to find resources in the old layout.  If you did, that would be bad (the two
different installations would be interfering with each other;  not often
obvious with headers, but when you have different versions of libraries built
for different runtimes that's a real problem), so hacking flags to point to a
different installation is a dangerous thing to do.

If you want the 'fhs' (headers in /usr/include) layout then that's the way you
should configure gnustep-make.