Re: Debian12 repository.

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Debian12 repository.
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 16:32:25 +0100

> Am 20.11.2023 um 16:10 schrieb Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org>:
>
> Without support for ARC, the vast majority of code written in the past 15
> years will not work (or eat memory without ever freeing it up). Apple's
> reference guide to Objective C 2.0 which introduces ARC is from 2008!

Well, if you know the alloc/retain/release/copy rules it is just some diligent
work to convert ARC to MRC code. Has to be done once and believe me, I have
done it several times. Wasn't difficult. Then also/still runs on macOS.

But you are right, if ObjC 2.0 was introduced 15 years ago it is only us
"old-timers" who still know the MRC rules. Although Linux kernel programmers
should also be familiar with get/put calls for refcounting. And their devm
mimicks the ARP.

BR,
Nikolaus