Re: Debian12 repository.

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Debian12 repository.
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 15:39:15 +0100

Hi,

Andreas Fink wrote:
As far as renaming goes, well the packages in debian are so far outdated and seem no longer maintained that we should try to get a newer version into debian at some point.  But im not sure on how that process works . It might fail due to non support of gcc and maybe some platforms (such as RiscV because even clang fails to install currently).

this is not correct. If you check the current debian unstable packages, they are quite up-to-date.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gnustep&searchon=names&suite=unstable&section=all

Gives us:

base: 1.29
gui: 0.30
back: 0.30

Randomly checking some other apps shows they are op to release (ProjectCenter, gorm, GNUMail)

which is just current to releases. You can't compare to "stable" releases, since those go through the various release cycles.

Thus it is quite important, in my opinion, that separately provided packages which use a different runtime, compiler or layout setup to be incompatible with debiansso that the user doesn't end with mix-matching applications. It would be quite cofusing. Except a global renaming of all packages, I don't have a known way ho how to do that.

Just my 2 cents.

Riccardo