Re: Brutal review…

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Brutal review…
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 14:50:37 +0000

Hi,

Daniel Boyd wrote:
> Right—your packages install into /usr/local instead of /usr/GNUstep, right?
>
> I kind of like the /usr/GNUstep setup, but I could also see the Debian
> people preferring the other. I think the official packages should
> probably mirror what Debian would want. And ultimately I think the goal
> would be for the only difference between the Debian and “official
> gnustep repo” packages would be that the Debian ones are stale as of the
> latest Debian stable release.

If we provide our reference packages, they should install in
/usr/GNUstep or, even better, in /System, /Local: that is the "real" GS
experience in my opinion. So that you open GWorkspace and see your apps
in /System/Applications or /Local/Applications

> So for example, you could have a developer using the Debian packages and
> then decide she wants to use some new feature that was added to
> libs-base subsequent to the latest Debian stable release and then she
> could flip over to the gnustep official repo and get the latest build,
> but same folder structure, etc.

I would not try to "integrate" the packages, actually even find a way of
marking them as incompatible. Either you get debian packages or "Our"
packages". You could have selected different runtimes, for example. Or
the same runtime but different GCC versions. You get into a lot of
compatibility which Debian is able to manage for its own packages but
for an outsider it would be complex.

Riccardo