Re: Brutal review…

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Brutal review…
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:42:34 +0200

Am 17.10.2023 um 22:31 schrieb Daniel Boyd <danieljboyd@icloud.com>:

Can confirm. I’m starting on a new project where I’m going to be pushing a bunch of GNUStep apps into Debian-based Docker containers in the cloud and I ended up setting up my own apt server to host the gnustep packages (which I stole from Andreas’s apt server. Thanks, Andreas, by the way lol)

Project goal should be for the instructions to get a working gnustep environment (in Debian) to be as simple as:

> sudo apt install gnustep

Full ack.

Well, for QuantumSTEP it is already as simple as "sudo apt-get install quantumstep" for more than 10 years now, but that is not 100% GNUstep (I'd estimate 50%) and I am happy that GNUstep now adopts this idea.

But I also have a package "sudo apt-get install letux-gsde" which fetches the sources and builds all from scratch, loading the build dependencies as needed. At least on i386 or armhdf (e.g. RasPi). Doesn't build for mipsel, armel or arm64 (except bullseye).

And doesn't work on all Debian releases. Search for "gsde" in this matrix of prebuilt LetuxOS debian rootfs images: http://download.goldelico.com/gta04-debian-rootfs/toc.html

Unfortunately the GSDE doesn't seem to be complete and I haven't had time to debug or even just report this here. Maybe I can do a screenshot and report here.

-- hns