Re: NSViews backed by layers in libs-gui (was: Re: Paid Programmers for

From: dr_clow
Subject: Re: NSViews backed by layers in libs-gui (was: Re: Paid Programmers for GNUStep)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:26:48 -0500

Hi Svetlana,

Thank you for the response.

Sadly, I am not a 'dr', it was more of an aspiration when I made this email account in 2000(?). It was a reference to the Dr Pepper that was on my desk (I was like 14?). A few years ago, I decided NOT to pursue a doctorate (I was exhausted), maybe one day! So Austin is fine.

To answer your question,  a lot of modern apps that I work on (and specifically the one I want to port to GNUStep) use CALayers. I could do without it, I suppose, but it really is a glaring gap in GNUStep's implementation. Commenting those lines out would make the apps very dull.

Additionally, I am interested in making a UIKit to GNUStep, and CALayers are very pervasive there. I am currently planning to do this by wrapping libs-gui in a Swift library, but even then I would need CALayers working or that functionality wouldn't be included. And it must.

I have also been looking at how to best port SwiftUI once we can get true Swift integration running.

I have a few internal apps that I want to port to GNUStep or a GNUStep based 'distribution' and they will require CALayers.

Closing these gaps will make GNUStep more approachable for more 'flashy' apps. And GNUStep REALLY needs these killer apps.

When I was considering the projects that I could be most effective today implementing, NSViews backed by CALayers weren't on the list and it would require a lot of coöperation with the team that I am not sure I can facilitate. I'm not having a lot of response from some of the changes that I thought were needed and have proposed with working code and I am concerned it is just my level of expertise, which is understandable.

Currently, there is a project, https://github.com/gnustep/libs-quartzcore (last updated, August 20, 2012), that attempts to implement CALayers, but lacks NSView backing.

 I appreciate your interest here. :-) Thank you!