Paid Programmers for GNUStep

From: dr_clow
Subject: Paid Programmers for GNUStep
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:14:18 -0500

I was wondering if there were any developers who would be more interested in
contributing to GNUStep if there was some money involved. I saw the fund raiser
from years ago.

I sponsor a few of open source projects, and was thinking about putting some of
that money towards GNUStep instead.

Haiku OS has one paid member that makes a lot of their progress, and thought I
know I cannot provide their entire fund. I would be interested in making a
monetary contribution  to GNUStep if it meant we could get some of these gaps
closed.

Is there any precedence for this? Is it allowed?

There are two areas that I would love to see rapid improvements
1) True Swift integration (not the wrapper method I am currently trying, which
is great but I am still not sure how to handle retain cycles with two systems
of reference counting). I imagine this would mean getting libobjc2 and some of
the Swift toolchain involved and registering a new 'os' with Swift.
2) NSViews backed by layers in libs-gui (instead of as a side project). I am
really needing this.

If I were a compiler programmer, I would have already started, but it is
currently beyond me to even compile swift.

I would love to hear y'alls thoughts. Thanks!