Re: Our self-presentation, not just on our website. (Was: Re: GS based a

From: Albert Palacios
Subject: Re: Our self-presentation, not just on our website. (Was: Re: GS based app release: djay by Algoriddim in Beta)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:02:41 +0200

Hi,

Gregory, thank you for the apologies, I understand that you can't control the reactions of people following this list.

I will look at the examples you've given me and how I can adapt them to my theme, hopefully they will be helpful.

By the way, for me, a modern look is that of macOS Ventura

Riccardo, perhaps this code can help you with the semi-transparent window example:

https://github.com/optimisme/GNUstep-hello-world

NSColor *backgroundColor = [NSColor colorWithDeviceRed:0.5 green:1.0 blue:1.0 alpha:0.75];
[window setBackgroundColor:backgroundColor];

But NSVisualEffectMaterialUnderWindowBackground is not available in GNUStep, and a Blur effect can’t be added as a window background.

Finally, this. is how the default theme looks on Ubuntu with the menu behind the top bar and the Dock:

Captura de pantalla 2023-09-04 a les 21.59.08.png

Regards,

Albert

El 4 set. 2023, a les 21:17, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> va escriure:

Hi Albert,

Albert Palacios wrote:
Hi,

It's quite offensive that, to present a series of issues as a newcomer, you have to endure comments like:

“you can't fix the world... some people still think earth is flat.”

This is a very welcoming way to attract people to this project.

A precise ironic statement, matching a statement from Lars and directed to him. Proper quoting of the original line allows matching the context and noting the repetition of "IT-world" versus "fix the world".
If you take it out context and refer it to the whole thread and issues you subsequently wrote, that's your take, but not my intention.

I don’t think that ‘Rik’ theme closely resembles macOS in its looks, at least not for the past 15 years.

The author stated that it wants to resemble Mavericks. It is was given to you as a hint to a different look, more in a Mac style. No allegations were made that it would fit "your" style and was up-to-date to current Apple style.
It was also written some years ago, maybe some things can be even improved.

As I pointed out in the first comment of my initial email, I think it's impossible to add space to dialog menus by adding "padding" as shown in this screenshot.

<Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 16.03.17.png>

Requirements are (for the pop up dialogs):

• Apply rounded corners to both the menu and the selected items.
• Apply a 'frozenglass' effect to the menu.

For what I know, doing rounded corners and frozen glass effects (or even simple alpha channel) will be hard. With X11 you can have "any shape" windows, but for some other reason it is hard in GNUstep, I don't remember why.

Transparency for sure requires a compositing window manager. I remember a demo running on GNUstep which had variable level of transparency, but can't find it anymore - I wanted to test some weeks ago if it still works since it came up as a topic.
Frozen glass (which might include vibrancy effects) is a further issue.

This is one of the reasons, by the way, why the GWorkspace dock is still part of the Desktop: that way it is GNUstep doing the compositing. Under certain setups (didn't dissect it further) and video-cards, windowmanager,  this might put a heavy load if non-GNUstep windows cover the desktop!

Cheers,

Riccardo