Re: GS based app release: djay by Algoriddim in Beta

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GS based app release: djay by Algoriddim in Beta
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 13:24:40 +0200

> Am 04.09.2023 um 12:50 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>:
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de wrote:
>> Maybe you should write a blog post about this or at least tweet it. The
>> IT-world needs to know and it doesn’t. It still thinks GNUstep is just
>> Window Maker and old fashioned looking. Had this discussion just two days
>> ago. Again.
>
> you can't fix the world... some people still think earth is flat.

At least we can strive for giving the best possible information on our website.
But that means no text-overladen pages. Short and to the point would be
preferable, even bullet points with html-links to a bit longer passages of the
related topic further down the homepage.

> I mean that "we" are quite sensitive about misconceptions that touch our
> subjects.
>
> In the restoring of the website (currently at
> http://http://wwwmain.gnustep.org), I just took the time to clarify this
> more, making a pun on WINGs.
>
> We already state it one-click from the homepage, in any case.

One click away may be the click not taken. I’d say state it as short as
possible on the front page and give more details further down the page (linked
with an anchor). If necessary divert from there to a sub page. Just my 2 cent …

> WindowMaker is quite clear too:
>
> Neither we nor our cousins are ambigous. They write:
>
> "*Window Maker* is an X11 window manager
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager> originally designed to provide
> integration support for the GNUstep <http://gnustep.org> Desktop Environment,
> although it can run stand alone. In every way possible, it reproduces the
> elegant look and feel of the NeXTSTEP
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTSTEP> user interface."
>
> "WINGs Is Not GNUstep" is also quite clear.
>

> So if somebody wants to know, he can quickly, otherwise he can still think
> the earth is flat, even if Eratosthenes measured its diameter within 2% error
> two centuries b. C.

Attention span is very short these days. I don’t like this but I have to go
with it in one or another way.

> Riccardo

Kind regards,

        Lars