Re: Our self-presentation, not just on our website. (Was: Re: GS based a

From: Daniel Boyd
Subject: Re: Our self-presentation, not just on our website. (Was: Re: GS based app release: djay by Algoriddim in Beta)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 08:23:57 -0500

For what it’s worth, I think we also need to shift our priorities and
expectations in our new ChatGPT reality. I recently coded a perl/wxwidgets app.
I have some old perl code and I have been wanting to add a GUI to it forever.
My point is that I was never able to get off the ground with wxperl. Until now.
My (former) problem was that there is approximately zero documentation for
wxperl.  You are basically expected to just read the C++ documentation and just
figure out how they may have happened to translate that into perl.

But now, documentation suddenly matters a lot less because ChatGPT could answer
just about all of my questions. And provide sample code.

I think this will have a big impact on GNUstep. When I was first getting
started with gnustep development, I remember the learning curve being high—in
many ways because I couldn’t always find an answer in the documentation. That
hurdle is largely removed by ChatGPT. I expect this to increase the number of
people using the framework bc the barriers to entry have been lowered.

Another area where I think this will have an impact—there’s a big learning
curve to get to where you can contribute useful patches to the core GNUstep
libraries. I suspect ChatGPT could be a game changer there as well.

So, Svetlana—a suggestion: why don’t you use GPT and see if you can develop a
proposed patch to the gui library for some of the things you suggest. Smooth
animation would probably be a substantial lift, but perhaps some of the others
might not be. It would obviously need to go through a QC review before getting
incorporated into the codebase, but perhaps it could at least be a first step
towards getting a usable patch.

I think we users need to stop thinking that we can’t provide useful patches for
the core libraries. So that’s my prediction: we will see an uptick in users and
also an uptick in people wanting to work on the framework itself.

Sent from my iPhone