Our self-presentation, not just on our website. (Was: Re: GS based app r

From: address@hidden
Subject: Our self-presentation, not just on our website. (Was: Re: GS based app release: djay by Algoriddim in Beta)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 16:39:18 +0200

Hey Greg,

I’ve seen your tweet:

https://twitter.com/bheron/status/1696627365751988414

well done!

But then again I had a discussion in very well frequented german IT-forum today, where I got this answer:

https://www.heise.de/forum/heise-online/Kommentare/Linux-Mint-Das-bessere-Windows-c-t-3003/Re-Bitte-mal-eine-GNUstep-basierte-Distribution-testen/posting-43060613/show/

It translates to:

What's wrong with them using a modern theme?
I'm not a fan of changing things all the time, but we have more than 16 colors and using a gradient here and there in the UI can significantly enhance controls without overly colorful design.

When I see the screenshots of the project, the whole thing again looks like someone is building something that has to work at 640x480 with 16 colors, although I can imagine that the principles behind it would still/again make sense today. Something in the direction of Windows 7 or Breeze optics would really not hurt.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I answered that GNUstep already has themes, but when searching for https://gnustep.github.io/experience/Theming.html I found out that this page is nowhere linked from the front page, so I knew it exists but I had to google it. All in all our web presence (while looking somewhat sleek) is in a kinda sorry state: It doesn’t get those messages around:

- We are not Window Maker and Window Maker alone is not GNUstep
- We are a cross platform implementation (Linux, BSDs, Windows) of Cocoa, formerly OpenStep
- We are up to date (here Greg knows best which features of which macOS version are supported)
- We are themable (adding some screenshots of modern themes on the frontpage would be great)

additionally:

- GNUstep can be used as a desktop environment (a link to a somewhat maintained one would be good here, for instance https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace ).

Even better it would be if we had our own reference implementation of a desktop environment, but I see this is wishful thinking, as we lack the manpower to do so (no offense to women by the way ;-)).

But as of now we come over as we would be a „software museum“ not as something contemporary. Sorry, I had to say this, but when I bring GNUstep on the table in discussions I regularly get laughed at: „Are you serious? This stuff is from the last century!“

We need to stop this!

Rant over.

Kind regards,

Lars