Re: Using cmakelists.txt rather than gnumakefile

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Using cmakelists.txt rather than gnumakefile
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 15:17:39 -0400

Bruce,

On Mon, Jul 3, 2023 at 10:55 bruce <darkoverlordofdata@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for verifying my suspicion that there is no specific support for gnustep in cmake. So, after adding a slew of custom commands, I'm finally getting somewhere. The biggest stumbling block was getting debug to work. Apparently the executable ./build/AppName is unable to locate it's bundle unless I push it all down into ./build/AppName.app/AppName, and then it works. I didn't realize it was so rigidly attached to that folder name... Is that documented anywhere? a rhetorical question - I don't find much documentation at all.

Well, you are aware that GNUstep is a clone of the Cocoa environment and, thus, uses bundles as a way of packaging app, frameworks, etc, so it's not a great leap of logic that GNUstep should have this expectation.   This is no more a surprise than the expect applications that conform to the FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) to have things in bin, lib, share, etc.

As far as the documentation, that is very much our fault.  There is documentation, but it is hard to find or outdated.  I will email you later to give you the locations of what we do have.

The only other thing that's got me stumped now, is why the cmake built executable  is over twice the size of the gmake built executable. Mystery upon mystery, all the way down :)

Not really. GNUstep builds with debug symbols off by default.  You might also not have optimized the executable, so it's likely that is the reason for the large size.   Also remember the resources need to be in the bundle as well.  This includes any files that are loaded by the application (such as nib, xib, storyboard, or gorm files) or other resources that might be used internally by the app.

Yours, GC