Re: GNUstep Desktop

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep Desktop
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 09:01:49 +0200

Nice work!

> Am 22.05.2023 um 08:03 schrieb Ondrej Florian <onflapp@yahoo.com>:
>
> My vision is for GSstep Desktop to be available as source.
> Something you can easily tinker and experiment with.
>
> Imagine browsing all the code in ProjectCenter.
> GORM to edit UI.
> Documentation fully indexed and available in the HelpViewer.
> (it's never going to be Smalltalk system, but why not try to replicate the
> experience ;-)
>
> GNUstep + all supporting code is incredibly compact.
> This makes is unique when compared to other desktop environments today.
>
> -
>
> Having said that, anyone is free to create deb packages and distribute it
> that way.

It is also possible to provide source packages in Debian. That packages a
source code
snapshot (.tar.gz or .tar.xz) plus some build scripts. I have not much
experience with this
and none in packaging but I often come across when using the Debian
repositories.

> Live CD would certainly be nice.

Well, better an .iso image since CD drives become very rare but USB sticks are
give-aways.

Just my 2cts,
Nikolaus