Re: Porting GNUStep to Mac OS 9

From: Austin Clow
Subject: Re: Porting GNUStep to Mac OS 9
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:28:58 -0500

I would check out https://github.com/uliwitness/AppKitForClassic for some idea of where to begin.

On Oct 13, 2022, at 4:17 PM, Marco Cawthorne <marco@icculus.org> wrote:

On 2022-10-13 11:37:36 -0700 M A <teammember0x01@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I was looking at this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I3BWaMa-Fk) on Rhapsody and it had me thinking. Has anyone tried to port GNUStep to Mac OS 9? Is it technically possible?

The first hurdle would be to get a compiler and runtime environment running on it.
From my memory, CodeWarrior (the IDE everyone used back in the day...) for classic
MacOS supported C, C++ and ASM. I did a quick search for GCC and Obj-C related
queries for classic MacOS but found very little. I did find a crosscompiler on GitHub
(autoc04/Retro68) but the compiler and runtime would need to run on the classic Mac
directly anyway.

Marco Cawthorne