Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:22:07 +0100

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 16:41, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
> > 'gnustep live cd' is already a good reference distribution, is it not?
> > http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_Live_CD i am asking because in
> > some of the discussions above, it seems that there are some references to
> > that a reference distribution does not exist
>
> To my knowledge it is outdated, last referenced version I see is 2017.

That's odd. I do not see the message you're replying to in this thread.

Anyway, yes, there was a demo LiveCD, and also a (IMHO very cluttered) VM image.

But that makes the system look outdated & archaic.

I submit we need installable binary packages for at least 1 current,
mainstream Linux distro, making it as easy to get a GNUstep system up
and running as it is to get any other Linux desktop environment.

No, not BSD; while I admire all the BSDs, they are not beginner-friendly OSes.

No, *not* as a set of programming tools, although that is appealing.
Why? Because nowhere near as many people _write_ code as _use_ code.

As a way of saying that GNUstep is alive and well, the best demo I can
think of is, for example, a current Ubuntu preinstalled with GNUstep &
as many GNUstep apps as possible, ready to install and use. To show
off the apps and that it is a rich and mature framework.

I know, there's no "native" web browser. That is not a biggie; just
bundle Firefox. To be ambitious, take the Javascript plugin that
Ubuntu used to integrate Firefox into Unity and make it display
GNUstep style menus instead.

The Waterfox web browser still integrates with Unity just fine.
https://www.waterfox.net/
https://ubuntuunity.org/

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven