Re: GNUstep on Hackernews

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Hackernews
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 01:12:42 +0200

Hi Liam,

On 14 Dec 2021, at 14:17, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 at 00:08, Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:

For the sake of truth - NextSpace has 3 binary releases (RPMs). Please look carefully here https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/releases.
Last 0.90 release support 3 bistro: CenOS 7, CentOS 8 and Fedora 31.

Aha! That is excellent.  I had missed that.

I will see if I can install it in a VM.

I’m sure you can. :)

Also it includes install script and installation process pretty much simple even for non-technical person like you.

Um. "Not a programmer" != "non-technical person".

I've been a *nix sysadmin since 1988 and working with Linux since
1996. I have designed, implemented, built and supported more networks
than I can remember, and systems I built and ran handled $600M of
business per day, every day, for years on end, with the only downtime
being due to external factors such as leased line failure.

I am, I think, very much a technical person and have been for my whole career.

The thing is, I know my strengths and weaknesses, and while I *can*
program in 3 or 4 languages, I am not good at it. So I focus on what I
am good at, not what I am bad at.

My apologies for my ignorance! I was confused with your reply to Xavier presenting yourself as “technical writer and journalist”.
I’m deeply sorry!

Some time ago I’ve started NextSpace development on FreeBSD. I’ve consciously switched to Linux for 2 reasons: most commercial applications are written for Linux (RHEL and Ubuntu) and FreeBSD lacks such powerful system-level utilities like UDisks (for automatic removable media management).

I agree regarding FreeBSD.

Do you think it would be easy, or hard, or near-impossible to get the
NEXTSPACE desktop running on Ubuntu or on Debian?

It is absolutely possible. NEXTSPACE is not bound to RedHat-based distros!
Moreover here https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/tree/master/Packaging/Debian you can find some work made by Patrick Georgi to create Debian packages.

Sergii