Re: Late packets when using set_time_next_pps and set_start_time with Fu

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: Late packets when using set_time_next_pps and set_start_time with Function Probe
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:38:57 -0500

On 2021-12-23 00:30, Manav Kohli wrote:
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. I am encountering an issue regarding late packet arrivals when using Function Probe blocks to call set_start_time and set_time_next_pps.

I have a flowgraph with a USRP Source and Sink and I am applying the following two function calls to each (so four function probes in total). The function probes have their rate set to 1e-9 (so they should only ever run once).

set_time_next_pps(uhd.time_spec_t(0.0))
set_start_time(uhd.time_spec_t(2.0))

The USRP Sink is fed by a file source and the USRP Source feeds a QT Frequency Sink. There is nothing else going on and the Sink and Source are on the same subdev. If I run the flowgraph, the following will invariably occur: a cascade of LLLL... printed to stdout and the following warning: "gr::log :WARN: usrp_source0 - USRP Source Block caught rx error code: 2"

Disabling the Function Probes with set_start_time(uhd.time_spec_t(2.0)) or removing the time_spec_t function parameter in the set_start_time function call let the flowgraph run fine.

I've tried to look up exactly what is going on behind these two function calls but I have been unable to make any headway. I saw a previous thread here which doesn't seem to have a resolution.

GNU Radio & USRP environment:
Ubuntu 20.04
UHD 4.0.0.0
GNU Radio 3.8
USRP 2974

I think this may have something to do with the USRP and PC clocks drifting apart, but this happens as soon as the Tx and Rx should turn on, i.e. two seconds after running the flowgraph, so I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time in reading through this post.

Take care
Manav

My suspicion is that your approach is "all wrong".  What is it you're trying to actually do?

The gr-uhd module already does this when you select "unknown_pps" or "next_pps" in the "SYNC" option in the source/sink blocks.    Your approach is going to cause multiple
  resets of the system clock on the radio, at unpredictable times, likely leading to the results you're seeing.