Re: How to compute FFT and IFFT in C++ OOT?

From: Ron Economos
Subject: Re: How to compute FFT and IFFT in C++ OOT?
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 20:52:04 -0800

Comments in-line.

Ron

On 12/22/21 1:30 PM, George Edwards wrote:
Hi Ron,

Today, I tried to create an OOT block to compute FFT based on your good instructions. However, I must be doing something wrong because when I build my grc flowgraph to test (I run a complex sinusoid into a throttle which connects to a stream-to-vector, then to my fft block which takes in a vector and outputs a vector, then connects to a vector-to-stream which outputs to a file sink to collect data for me to view) it outputs zeros.
The FFT of a sine wave is almost all zeroes. Only the center bin will have a value. Check your output carefully.

I tried to Debug using a small data size of 8 samples in a QA file because I can easily compute the fft of 8 samples to know what to expect if the block is working properly. This way, I can single step through the code to Debug. When I ran the Debugger, it fails to get inside the my_fft_cc.impl.cc code and gave the error message:
itemsize mismatch: vector_source0:0 using 8, my_fft_cc0:0 using 64
However, I explicitly set the vector length inside my_fft_cc.impl.cc with a #define vlength 8, unless the fft function forces things to a minimum of 64 samples
I will appreciate any suggestions you can offer here.
The sizes being reported are in bytes. So you're connecting a complex vector_source of vector size 1 (8 bytes) to your FFT block of vector size 8 (64 bytes).

Regards,
George